Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Eve Eve

Becky Anne, me, Mike, circa '57 or '58

When I was young, back in the middle of the last century. my older sister and brother and I would celebrate Christmas Eve Eve. My mom was a pretty smart cookie and she knew that the small, often handmade presents that her children wrapped up for each other could easily be lost, literally and figuratively, in the wild excitement of Christmas Eve (when we opened our presents).

Hence, Christmas Eve Eve, when the three of us would open the gifts we had for each other. Without any competition they seemed wonderful and "neat-o". And the tradition helped ease a bit of the unbearable anticipation of the day to follow.



Ride 'em Cowboys!

I don't have any of those presents left now, but the memories of the three of us, in our jammies, sitting around the fake fireplace, ripping off the wrappings will be with me always.

1 comment:

  1. Love the corncob pipe with your cowboy outfit!
    -m.

    ReplyDelete