Friday, December 19, 2014

Favourite Toy Friday


I know that in this day and age, toy guns are politically incorrect,  but back in the '50s and early '60's it seemed like almost every kid on the block had a cowboy outfit complete with a pair of six-shooters - remember the smell of the caps?  I played cowboy so much that almost every year I wore them out and would get a new pair for the holidays. On Christmas afternoons my dad and I used to play cowboys on the back porch using all the big boxes from under the tree as cover. For several years of my childhood Christmas wouldn't have been Christmas without a new set of cowboy pistols.

4 comments:

  1. And the smell of caps. If we didn't have a working cap gun, we'd hit them with a hammer! Doesn't seem that smart in retrospect. What a happy Christmas memory, what a good sport your dad. Did you practice twirling your six-shooters, like the cowboys in the movies? I never got the hang of that. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylinn - I did the twirl - it didn't always work - but when It did I felt like Tom Mix. And yes I remember using hammers too, nothing like that smell of an exploded cap!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete