Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Travels in North Africa


This is an altered book that I began a year ago. Then, when I devoted 6 months to getting ready for Open Studios Tour, it sat at the back of my work table. It's been a pleasure to have the time to actually get to work on it again.

Here we have a fictitious tale of an explorer/adventurer traveling across North Africa in the early part of the 20th century prior to WWI. The path winds from Egypt to Morocco. The pages have maps, diagrams, old photos, correspondence, and other bits and bobs collected from the journey.

I started with a leather bound journal from Barnes and Noble, removing about half the pages. "Instant aging" was achieved with walnut ink, tea staining and Adirondack Color Washes. I'm almost finished and will share more pages in the next few weeks.

1 comment: