Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Cut Above!


 Last October at a workshop with Lynne Perrella and Anne Bagby, Anne showed us how to transfer photo copies of patterns and designs onto large (12x12") slabs of  Safety Kut (a material for making rubber stamps).   I did the transfer - using matte medium on both the Safety Kut and the copy, and let it dry over night.  Then sprayed water on the paper and rolled it off until the what was left was the Safety Kut with the design transferred onto it.  At this point it was ready to carve.  And so it has sat in my studio for the last 8 months.



I watched Anne do it at the workshop, I watch her (several times) on her DVD doing it, but I was nervous of making that first cut. So last week during my time off I thought "OK, now's the time!"  I got out the Xacto and the lino tools, took a deep breath and just went for it.



It was not as scary as I had thought it would be.  I sliced through a few stems and leaves I hadn't meant to, but on the whole - not bad for my first time.  I will proof it several times to see what needs to be fixed and then start stamping away.  I know it will be easier next time and will not be another 8 months till I try it again!


6 comments:

  1. Looks good to me! Congrats on taking that big, scary first step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbie - I'm interested to see how much work I still have to do when I proof it!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's really beautiful and should be framed as is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love carving stamps. Not much good at it and I only practice on $ Store erasers right now. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margot - It did turn out looking great - but I do want to stamp with it, Lol!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon - I was so nervous, but it turned out OK! I'll be doing more.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete