Saturday, February 1, 2014

From the Bookshelf



I was thrilled a few months ago when I learned that Nick Bantock was releasing a new book, his first for many years.  And even more thrilled when I found out it was a creativity manual.  My copy came last week and I love it.  Nick has given us 49 creative exercises to unblock, kick-start and unleash the artistic brain.
Several of these are ones I was familiar with, having done them in a weekend workshop at Nick's Salt Spring Island Studio back in 2008. They range from absurd to fascinating to fascinatingly absurd - and they work.  Beautifully illustrated by a variety of Nick's collages - and a handy smaller size - this should be on everyone's studio table and used on a regular basis.  Highly recommended.

4 comments:

  1. I had NO idea. Welcome back, Nick, and thank you, Erin. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marylinn - Nick had said 6 years ago that he wouldn't be doing any more books, so this is a delicious surprise!
      Erin

      Delete
  2. I have all of his books, and am so excited he is back.
    Can you please share some of his exercises with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - Here's a blog I did a few years ago about a couple of the things we did in Nick's workshop that are also in the book - http://alteredbythesea.blogspot.com/search?q=stamps+bantock - just copy in your browser and it should come up.
      Erin

      Delete