Saturday, December 12, 2009

Guadalupe Day

La Manzanilla, Jalisco, Mexico

Taos, New Mexcio

Boulder, Colorado

San Miguel Allende,Guanajuato, Mexico

And last but not least, my lovely new journal bag, made by my
beautiful wife Margot.


I remember when I was young, the members of Our Lady of Guadalupe Society celebrating on December 12 each year. Dressed in black and wearing their colourful ribbons they would sing the beautiful "Bendito, bendito, bendito sea Dios, los angeles cantan y alaban a Dios". Even as a child I was struck by the heartful devotion and love in their celebration. One line of the music transports me back 50 years to a small Catholic church in Azusa - I can smell the beeswax of the candles, hear their strong voices lifted in song, and taste the delicious tamales that were served up after Mass. My growing collections of Guadalupe icons is a tribute to these women from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment