Saturday, April 24, 2010

13 Journals - Yellowgreen, Copper & Gold

The "copper" in this 13 Journals entry immediately made me think of the Statue of Liberty, and I used that for my inspiration. I pulled out all my copper embellishments - letters, mesh, metal and foil tape and wire. I used pictures from the Smithsonian archives of immigrants at Ellis Island between the years of 1895-1910. I began with one face, the fear and hope plain on her face, and then turning the page a spread showing crowds waiting and then a family looking across the water towards their new home.

The picture of Liberty to the left above was taken by Margot many years ago and entitled "Pregnant with Liberty", she kindly allowed me to use it for this journal.

I included a portion of Emma Lazarus's poem "The New Colossus" found at the base of the statue:

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the best thing about a journal exchange such as this is the way each artist takes the same prompt and give it a unique interpretation. The leap from copper to Lady Liberty and all she represents is the perfect example. A creative mind is a wondrous thing.

    ReplyDelete