Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cemetery Saturday


Copp's Hill Cemetery, founded in 1660, Boston's 2nd oldest burial ground.



What with Halloween and Day of the Dead just past, I've been sifting through my graveyard photos and thought I'd share some here on the blog. I've never been one to visit at night for the spooky/scary aspect, rather I like to visit in daylight hours. I'm fascinated by the old tombstones and the inscriptions. I find the atmosphere restful and feel an abiding sense of peace.


These skull and crossbones are ubiquitous in graveyards throughout New England.


2 comments:

  1. What great photos. That is very interesting about the skull and crossbones how history and culture change but seem to be intertwined forever because skull and crossbones are very trendy now in certain areas. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect I'll enjoy this new series immensely!

    ReplyDelete