Friday, November 5, 2010

From the Bookshelf

This book was a literal life-saver for me eight years ago. I was building up the courage to leave a long term marriage. Everyday I would sit down with that day's prompt and write out my thoughts, my fears, my reasons for leaving. It became my year long/everyday therapy and helped keep me on track and sane during that time. There is a prompt for each day of the year in the form of an unfinished sentence, along with tips and suggestions about the writing life. Judy's style is warm, approachable and informative. A 10th anniversary edition has just been released with even more wonderfulness inside. Three years after I spent that intense time with the book I took a workshop with Judy and over the years we have been blessed with a developing friendship. It's been a real treat to be able to thank her in person for how much her book helped me in discovering my new life.

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts. I appreciate and learn a lot from what you include on them. And today is another wonderful gem. What you wrote today is very open and I can relate very much. I have had thoughts of change myself but not had the courage. This book sounds wonderful and you are inspiring others now. Thank you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can never have too many tools in our utility belt. And what a gift to have met the inspiring author, letting her know how her thoughts really helped change lives.

    ReplyDelete