Monday, October 3, 2011

The Pity of War - a Last Look


To End All Wars 16x20"

When I finish a project I usually have a pile of extras left that gets moved to the side or put in a folder or box for future use. As you can imagine, quite a large pile had accumulated by the time I had spent 6 months working on The Pity of War earlier this year.



Against a Monstrous Tyranny 16x20"

When I was cleaning it off my desk the work had become such an important part of me that I couldn't just file it away without one last foray. And so we have these two collages.



To End All Wars (WWI) and Against a Monstrous Tyranny (WWII) both in 16x20" frames with glass fronts and plastic backs(that were used as the substrata for the collages).



I tried to get a bit from most of the pieces from The Pity of War into each collage and then finished them off with lengths of ribbon and small charms. It was poignant and fulfilling to revisit this body of work again. Both of these will be available at Open Studios later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment