Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Midnight Dreary - Halloween in April

A Midnight Dreary - Poe's Graveyard 8x10"

I haven't submitted to Somerset Studio in awhile, but how could I pass up their latest challenge - A Poe Halloween? I took a piece I'd made for my steampunk collection last fall and with some tweaking here and there created A Midnight Dreary - Poe's Graveyard. The piece is done in the opening on the reverse side of a 8x10x 2" canvas. This opening creates a shadowbox-esque effect and allows for the inclusion of rather thick embellishments - in this case - a resin gravestone (stamped with a branch of ravens) and a pile of various sized skulls, coloured with brown and olive acrylics.



The background is a xeroxed copy of a cemetery photo. Cheesecloth, rubbed with paint and stamped with ink, surrounds the frame and is anchored with skeletons and bones. A curled piece of parchment reads "nevermore" and one of the graveyard's crosses reads Edgar Allan Poe.



I've sent it in and now just have to wait until the Halloween issue comes out in September - wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, there. You don't need any luck! This is gorgeous, spooky, rich and--shall I say it?--mesmerizing! And Mesmer isn't even on it! Or.. maybe that's his skull over there?

    Fabulous idea. When's the deadline on this? I might have to submit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - Welcome back! How was ArtFest? The deadline is April 15 - go for it, that's a week and half.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very 'Poe-esque'!and spooky, I like the way you utilized the space in your shadow box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlett - Thanks! I love the collage you made - very ethereal, and great choice of poem. I always love to use writings that are not the most popular or well known.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I remember this now! Another one of those pieces you made just to watch me whine and salivate....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Destiny - umMHA-HA_HA! MY art has you in my power!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete