Monday, March 4, 2013

Museum Monday San Francisco MOMA

photo courtesy of artravel.com 

 One of my favourite museums - one reason is because it's only 4 hours away. The art I've visited here has had a major impact on my work and provides a constant source of inspiration.


From their website - Founded in 1935, SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast devoted to modern and contemporary art. From the outset, the museum has championed the most innovative and challenging art of its time, and we continue to exhibit and collect work by both modern masters and younger, less-established artists.
We always have a dynamic schedule of thought-provoking exhibitions on view, including special exhibitions and changing presentations from our collection of more than 27,000 artworks, photographs, and design objects. Audio guidesdocent tours, video screenings, interactive kiosks, and public programs offer opportunities to learn more about modern art.
Located just a short walk from downtown San Francisco, our landmark building features a soaring atrium topped by our signature turret and oculus skylight. The MuseumStore offers the West Coast's finest selection of modern and contemporary art books, as well as exceptional design objects, furniture, jewelry, and children's products. Meanwhile, our cafe serves gourmet fare in a light-filled space with indoor and outdoor seating.


 Cornell Retrospective  6x9"

Several years ago we went to see the Joseph Cornell exhibit which opened my eyes to the myriad joys of assemblage.  I literally spent hours filling my creative well with image after image, and took copious notes and sketches in my journal.  I created the above after returning home as a tribute to the grand master.




I Hope the Leaving is Easy  16x20"

The MOMA's Frida Kahlo exhibit to celebrate the 100th anniversary of her birth was another marvelous experience of colour and raw creativity.  It is always such a joy to see paintings in person after years of admiring them in art books.  The size always surprises - bigger, sometimes much smaller, than one expects and the textures and colours!  In the above piece I used a quote spoken on her death bed "I hope the leaving is easy and I hope never to return."




Collection  80x90"

No matter what the special exhibit is, whenever I go to MOMA, I always stop by their second floor permanent collection and say hello to this glorious work by Robert Rauschenberg Collection. I see something new in it every time.  For those of us who love drips and splatters and found objects it's a touchstone.




When you're in San Francisco make time for the MOMA - 
you won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment