Thursday, March 14, 2013

One Woman's Creepy is Another's...


 I found this article, about "the Hollywood Picker" Kevin Beer, in the Fall/Winter 2012 issue of Flea Marketing Style. What caught my eye were these two pages and his quote "I found my first doll head in the Virginia woods over 30 years ago.I lost count after 200."



Now this is something that you either "get" or you totally don't.  But bizarre as it may seem to those of you who don't, there is a group of us out here who go for the doll heads, the more vintage and distressed the better!




 Though I have a long way to go before I come close to 200 (but then, I haven't been collecting for 30 years either) I do have a modest collection that I have scattered across the studio.The above - found at the bi-annual Peddlars' Faire in Cayucos one autumn and mounted in a rusty bed spring that was a birthday present last month.





A favourite thrift store provided this one,
 the body was falling off so I helped it along.





This beauty, still attached, was a steal at $2.00
 found at the SLO swap meet a few years ago. 





 An eBay score keeps company with a few other body parts. 
Some of you get this - for those that don't, 
just think, it keeps me off the streets
 (well, unless it's an antique street faire 
but that's another story!)



4 comments:

  1. great post...I like seeing your doll heads in various vignette's better than stuffed in the cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - Thanks, it is fun to think up new ways to display them.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually dolls freak me out if they look human.
    It's something I never get over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - I think that's part of the attraction - that spooky angel. Not as scary as ventriloquist dummies though!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete