Saturday, November 28, 2009

You Can't Go Home Again

We've been waiting with bated breath for several months here in Morro Bay for the opening of
Bob's Big Boy restaurant. I grew up and went to college in Southern California in the Los Angeles area and Bob's was a staple during my four years at CSULA. There was nothing better than a double decker hamburger, onion rings, salad with ranch dressing and a big chocolate malt.
So, that's what I ordered a few days ago when we went for the first time after their grand opening.

I'm not sure if Thomas Wolfe was right when he said "you can't go home again", but I guess you can't go back to Bob's. The funny thing is, when I think about it, the food probably does taste just the same. But the 57 year old Erin is not the one of 40 years ago. A lot of food under the bridge, so to speak, since then. They are doing standing room only business every evening and I cheer them on. But it is interesting as we get older, to find more and more memories that are better left that way

1 comment:

  1. Bob's Big Boy in Morro Bay...never thought I'd see that day. There is one still in Burbank...no longer a drive-in but still with drive-thru service and a hang-out (or it was) for car collectors to gather...on my last visit, probably 5 years ago, the Big Boy's really did taste just the same...my brother was visiting from Australia and he hadn't had one in decades and declared it as remembered. Maybe they need to work a bit more on getting that perfect balance of cheese, relish, mayo, etc., to match our memories. Or perhaps we CAN'T go home again. But I'll bet people were still having their picture taken with the Big Boy just as they were in Burbank/Toluca Lake. At least some of our icons live on.

    ReplyDelete