Monday, March 7, 2011

Arts Obispo Artists' Profiles


Arts Obispo has started something new. Every day one of the Open Studios artists will be featured on their blog. Each week two prompts are sent out and the artists are invited to respond. I was picked to be the second artist featured and here is the article they posted.

“In my studio I am…” by Erin Perry

In my studio I am a dreamer and an alchemist. I take the found detritus of the street, the shore and the second hand. I collect the rusty, the worn, the tattered and torn. It sits on my art table and marinates – sometimes for days, sometimes for months, until the dream takes shape. I mix in canvas, paint, pastels, cheesecloth, paper – and all is transformed into mixed media collage and assemblage. Working with these materials, I have developed a fine sense of history and an empathy for the people who first used and touched the items. This has been especially poignant for me the last several months as I have worked on “The Pity of War” a solo show for the Allied Arts Gallery in Cambria. The collages and altered books in this exhibit focus on the two world wars: the WWI poets, the Holocaust, and the bravery and resiliency of civilian populations.

Here's the link. Check out interesting stories from your favourite Open Studios Artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment