Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cemetery Saturday

Poet's Corner in the south transept of Westminster Abbey. The resting place of writers, actors, poets, composers, dancers and several canons and deacons of the church. (And interestingly enough, also the grave of Thomas Parr who, it is said, died at the age of 152 in 1635 after having seen 10 sovereigns on the throne.


Geoffrey Chaucer was the first to be interred here in 1400, followed by Edmund Spenser in 1599.
The memorial to 16 WWI poets was unveiled on Remembrance Day in 1985. It is a stone slab of slate with the names inscribed on it. Wilfred Owen's statement "My subject is War and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity" is engraved across the top of the stone.

A magnificent stained glass window was installed in 1994, when floor and wall space began to run out. The window has twenty diamond panes which are inscribed with names and dates. Ted Hughes was the latest to be honoured in this fashion earlier this year. Twelve spots remain.

4 comments:

  1. What a concentration of amazing art, fame, and history. What a lovely photo. You caught the stained glass window, the beautiful statues and plaques perfectly. Must have been a "open mouth moment" haha.. sorry maybe that is just what I do when I am looking at something I love and try to take it all in. Your blog posts have done that to me a lot! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Oh and thank you for your comment on my blog. You hit the nail on the head about needing to be around people who "get it". I am going to try! Thanks, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - It was such a thrill and honour to be in Westminster Abbey - the sense of history was quite palpable and poignant.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were there in 97! (my brother and I) These photos are so wonderful. You should write a book!

    I hope you'll pardon me if I don't quite believe the Parr story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - What's not to believe - 152 years? When the life expectancy was what, 35 or so?!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete