Monday, May 30, 2011

Decoration Day


A House Divided 10x8"

Decoration Day received its name from the laying of flowers on the graves of the fallen soldiers during the Civil War.

In 1868 General John A.Logan issued a proclamation that "Decoration Day" should be observed nationwide It was observed for the first time on May 30 of the same year; the date was chosen because it was not the anniversary of a battle.

The northern states quickly adopted the holiday; Michigan made "Decoration Day" an official state holiday in 1871 and by 1890 every northern state followed suit.

The earliest Confederate Memorial Day celebrations were simple, somber occasions for veterans and their families to honor the day and attend to local cemeteries. At its Decoration Day on April 25, 1866, Columbus, Mississippi commemorated both the Union and Confederate casualties buried in its cemetery.

Following WWI, Decoration Day became Memorial Day and has been ever since a day to honour all those who have served in the military.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog.. fun, beauty, and history. Wishing you a peaceful day and thank you for sharing a great knowledge and love of art.

    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - part of the fun for me, when I do a historical piece, is getting to do the research! I guess that's the librarian side coming out! Hope you enjoyed your holiday!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you not a GENIUS in LAYERING?!?
    Make sure to give directions about the cheesecloth!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - Cheesecloth, my one weakness! I love cheesecloth! In this case I gessoed the canvas and then put a piece of cheesecloth over the whole thing leaving plenty hanging off the sides. Then I gessoed again, and when it was dry I painted, and added the ephermera. I love the way the overhang on the top falls down across the piece, adding another ghostly layer.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete