Friday, May 13, 2011

From the Bookshelf

It's Friday the 13th!! So I thought this would be an appropriate volume for today's post. I have long loved the "little big book" format and have quite a collection of them. I guess my fascination started back in the '50's when we had "big little books" - I amassed a collection of those too, back in the day.
The above book is stuffed full of spooky stories, poems, legends and tales. You'll find out how to cast a spell, learn about superstitions (including Friday the 13th) and be able to master a few magic tricks by the time you've finished. As these chunky tomes always are, it is lavishly illustrated with vintage prints, etchings and paintings. A feast for the eye and a shiver for the spine!!

2 comments:

  1. This is quite a book. I never thought a book like this existed! I used to have a bunch of big little books. None were this neato. However, I had this cool ghost story book and even though as a kid I wasn't really taken in by them, I loved the atmosphere-ism !

    I can make up that word if I want to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - You can make up any word you want to - as long as it's funny!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete