Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Creative Chemistry with Tim Holtz



I know there is some controversy about Tim Holtz in the mixed media world. Some thinking he's more for the scrapbooking crowd. Personally I love a bunch of his products and I think he's a great art spokesperson. Just this week he's started his first on-line class - Creative Chemistry 101.


Here's how Tim sees it -

"Throughout this workshop something to keep in mind (and I’ll say it over and over) is that this is all about technique. Our goal here is not to just make pretty things, our goal is to understand the “how’s & why’s” of the products too – you know, the “Creative Chemistry” of it all? In addition to daily videos, there will be pdf downloads with step by step technique instructions to print out for quick reference. of course we'll be wrapping up the workshop with a gallery of finished cards to inspire creativity and share how it all comes together.



While I rarely make cards or tags - I'm excited about learning the "whys" for the various inks paints, and tools. If you'd like to be in on this sign up here.

all photos - Tim Hotlz.com

2 comments:

  1. I don't get the problem with scrapbooking. Almost all mixed media artists acknowledge that they started out with scrapbooking or stamping. And now there's a bit exclusivity thread in mixed media. It's an illusion. Certainly, I don't do scrapbooking any longer, but I still use many of the techniques I learned there and the products I used there.

    That being said, I've always enjoyed Tim Holtz's contributions to mixed media methods, and at CHA I must say that I found more mixed media work at his and Ranger's booths than I did anywhere else. I saw more amazing journal work and altered art there than anywhere else. People were creating their own images and altering them with Tim's products and ideas. And there was plenty of dark imagery there which did not tell a 'story'. So if that's what mixed media is, he's doing it.

    I'm intrigued. I'm going to check out his class, although I doubt I have the time or funds right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - It is funny how so many mixed media types think they have to sorta look down on scrap booking. I love the supplies and always love the new stuff Tim comes out with. It's one of those classes where once you sign up you have lifetime access and I have to admit I was amazed at how inexpensive it was compared to other on-line courses.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete