Monday, July 13, 2009

The Beast of Babel

The Beast of Babel

I put the final touches on this one yesterday. Above is the finished artwork, below what it looked like before adding encaustic wax. It all started when my friend Joen gave me this very cool piece of rusted wire. She finds amazing and wonderful detritus for me on an almost daily basis and is one of my biggest enablers, LOL.



The shape suggested an animal to me. I was just getting ready to do something with it when I received my goodies from Seth's blog giveaway - which included a handful of old book pages in several different languages. The title leapt to mind -The Beast of Babel - and I began creating. A 10x14" canvas board was collaged with torn bits of the different papers affixed with matte medium. Rusty bottle caps. rectangular pieces and the "beast" were attached with E-6000. I coated most of the board with clear encaustic wax and then added royal blue wax as accent.
On one of the old book pages I found the heading "A Handful of Translations" which I thought quite apt for the project. This snippet was collaged along the center top. It was a fun piece to do. Thanks to Joen and Seth for making it possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment