Monday, January 9, 2012

Book of the Year


For the last several years at the beginning of the year I've picked out a book that divides itself easily ( by 12, by 50, etc.), that I then read a portion of on a weekend morning every week, with a nice cup of coffee before I get up for the day. Past volumes have included Simple Abundance, You Are your Choices, Romancing the Ordinary, The Creative Habit, The Crafter's Devotional. When the book is divided into days, I read 7 at once on the weekend morning, when it's divided into months I divide the chapter into four and read that much. I read ahead a bit, or, catch up if I'm out of town for a weekend. It's a nice way to start my time off each week and gives me plenty of food for creative thought during the following days.

It's delightful to pick out the book for each new year and to divide it in such a way that I find myself finishing the last few pages when the final weekend of the year rolls around. (I know that's sorta geeky, but hey, it keeps me happy!)

The Daily Book of Art is this year's choice - 365 essays on all aspects of art - techniques, famous artists, famous paintings, the philosophy of art and more. What better way to start the weekend?

2 comments:

  1. HA!...and what a brilliant idea.
    Figures that a librarian would not only devise creative schemes, but immerse herself in her passion every day/week/month of the year.

    ReplyDelete