Saturday, February 4, 2012

Suitcase Saturday


This is another vintage reproduction suitcase from Ross. Small, but just the right size to hold my collection of sewing notions from the '40s, '50's and '60s.



Some of this is from the sewing baskets and cabinets of my mom and her older sister. Some came by way of eBay and swap meets. A couple of the retro needle packs were found at a quilt show in Sonora, California and the rows of white buttons on the blue card a prize find at a Paris flea market on our honeymoon.



I keep my eyes open for other wonderful little things to add to this stash - garage sales are good hunting grounds and thrift stores also.



A few years ago I raided the stash to make this assemblage (in a vintage sewing machine drawer) for my favourite seamstress, my lovely and talented wife Margot.


2 comments:

  1. When you created that assemblage, I was amazed at how intact all the vintage sewing notions were! All the buttons in place on a beautiful old card, the needle packet, snaps, cording.... And what wonderful designs on the packaging. You don't see that kind of artwork anymore. A wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot - Thanks, it was a lot of fun making it for you.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete