Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Swap Meet Score


Went to the swap meet over the weekend and feel in love with the marble booth! I don't play marbles (back in the '50's at my grade school girls had to play jacks - the boys got to play marbles - too bad women's lib had hit yet!) but I was fascinated by all the boxes and trays of beautiful specimens.


The seller was enamored with his subject, so excited to talk about the different types and their history. He was surrounded by dads and their sons - I guess all the girls (except me) were over at the "jacks booth"!



Big ones,



Small ones



gorgeous blue ones with the photographer captured in every marble!



I also did a bit of shopping and scored a type drawer (can never have too many), a vintage suitcase (ditto), a fragile, lacy shawl, a decoupaged 3 drawer CD cabinet (get for stash storage), a small chest (assemblage-worthy) and a tiny wooden dutch figure (just for fun!).

4 comments:

  1. The marble guy was utterly RIVETING. I'd go again and just hang around his stall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Destiny - I agree and now that we're grown-ups they can't tell us we have to play jacks!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow! you DID score!
    I always loved playing jacks. I thought marbles was boring as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - Jacks are too pointy!! Can't tell you how many times I knelt on a jack - OUCH! At least with marbles you just step on them, lose your balance and fall down, LOL!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete