Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baker Street Revisited

Baker Street Revisited 8x10"

Last Christmas I had a commission for a Holmes piece featuring the actors from the new BBC series "Sherlock" (which just finished its second season). Well, she was so pleased with it, that she commissioned a new piece with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law - the latest (and most dishy) Sherlock and Watson to appear on the big screen.



Here's the result - lots of gears, the obligatory magnifying glass, chains, bricks and unidentified bits and bobs. Combined with red oxide, titanium buff, and black acrylics - stenciled (from Mary Beth Shaw's Stencil Girl company) and spattered on.



I was able to get the gears raised up a bit from the canvas in a couple of paces, which make for some very cool shadows.



As soon as everything's set and dry, I'll pop it in the post on its way to Missouri to join the first piece.


2 comments:

  1. This is so amazing! The picture doesn't do it justice. And every time I look at it, I notice another detail! I'm trying to pick my favorite part...the frame with Gladstone is high on the list. But I love the gear in the bottom left corner too. The weight of it is extremely satisfying, as well--nothing plastic or fake on here. Just good, heavy, steampunk'ed awesomeness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - Thanks, it was a lot of fun creating this piece for you, and trying to get it to match up with the first one. I'm so glad you like it.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete