Friday, August 24, 2012

From the Bookshelf



 Today is a very special anniversary for me. 10 years ago today, I "screwed my courage to the sticking place" and left a 28 year abusive marriage. It was the scariest thing I ever did, it was the bravest thing I ever did and it was the best thing I ever did.  These last 10 years have been a miracle, a joy and a beautiful gift. I often wonder how I found the courage to finally say "Enough!" and leave.

One thing that I'm convinced helped me was The Writer's Book of Days by Judy Reeves.  This is a great book of daily writers' prompts and techniques.  Starting in January of 2002 I wrote every day, using that day's prompt.  It was amazing how many of them related to my marriage, my life as it was and my life the way I wished it could be. The writing became my therapy and my hope for the future.

A few years after this I had the opportunity to take a workshop with Judy  and I told her how her book had helped change my life.  In the intervening years we've become good friends and have the chance to get together now and then when she's visiting the Central Coast.

You can change your life, you can have what you hope for - maybe a daily writing practice can help you achieve your dreams.



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, wonderful anniversary -- and what a courageous thing to do! I am so very proud of you and love you so very, very much. --Your wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    What a lovely piece and so true!
    Congratulations on your journaling anniversary.

    Susan Borkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margot - Sometimes I'm still amazed I found the courage, but so, so glad I did.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan - The power of journaling is truly awe-inspiring. It's ability to mend the soul and prepare the heart amazing and wonderful.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete