Thursday, May 27, 2010

Don't Leave Home Without It!

Erin and her library card in Palazzo San Marco, Venice

In the 20 years I've worked at the library, one of the phrases I've heard the most is "Oh, I don't have my card, I went on a trip to (fill in the blank) and I took all the cards out of my wallet and haven't put them back yet."
I decided to prove that it can be done - it is possible to travel - even to foreign parts - and take your library card with you and get it back home safely. Whenever Margot and I travel, I haul out the card and she snaps a shot of me with it in front of a distinguishing landmark. So in the coming weeks I'll be sharing some of these pictures with you. I have them printed up and on a wall at the library - I don't think it's convinced anyone to leave their card in their wallet, but everyone gets a kick out it.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to do one of these in front of the Library of Congress, Jefferson Building in DC. Then I remembered, "I have a key chain card and left all my keys at home!" D'OH!!!

    It did cross my mind, however, to use whatever card and photoshop in the library card later. But, that would be cheating. Doing this as my Ode to Erin WAS in my itinerary while on the other side of the map, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there such a thing as Love Your Library Week or Month? What a great participatory activity it could be, people from everywhere displaying their library cards in known and unknown corners of the world, a tribute, I suppose, to the universality (and importance) of reading. A very fun idea, one whose greater meaning sort of sneaks up on you.

    ReplyDelete