Friday, May 21, 2010

From the Bookshelf

I recently listened to this old favourite and was struck anew, not only by how fresh the narrative seemed (it was published in 1912) but also by how very good the writing was. My well-thumbed copy disappeared long ago, but I was able to find a picture of the cover of the edition I had and loved. A few months ago Margot and I re-watched the 1959 movie, loosely based on the story - not near as wonderful as the book - but when you get to watch Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron dance you forgive things like that.

1 comment:

  1. I was amazed once Erin convinced me to read this book. We'd seen the movie, so I was skeptical that it was anything more than a sweet romance. It was so much more! The entire book is the young woman's letters to the (non-responding) gentleman who is putting her through college as an act of charity. Her letters reveal her feelings, her personality (charming and indomitable), her growing sense of self and independence (amazing in 1912), and her evolution as a writer, which is her eventual profession. As a writer myself, I was especially struck with how well this was done. Throw away any preconceptions and get your hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete