Thursday, May 20, 2010

Si Tengo Alas Para Valor

Si Tengo Alas Para Valor 18 x 24"

Always fun and rewarding to do another Frida project, this one came to mind while I was looking through a book of photographs of Kahlo by Nickolas Muray
A riot of Mexicolor on a gesso-textured prepped canvas. I used higher grade acrylics on this one because I wanted the colours to really POP! Cheesecloth and netting were embedded in the gesso and highlighted with Portfolio water soluble oil pastels. The title comes from Frida's quote "Pies, para que los quieros, si tengo alas para volar"- "Feet, why do I want them, if I have wings to fly". I printed this out from my computer using a script font, then coloured with the pastels and tore into ragged shapes. These, some pink and green flowers and the large central photo (a xerox copy of one of Muray's photographs) of Frida were adhered with matte medium. I dripped watered-down acrylics horizontally and vertically to form a grid and used stencils in two different splatter patterns. For the final touch all colours were spattered over the canvas.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the texture and line of that netting, I love these colors! This is cool.

    I wanted to also say that it was nice to see your piece in Somerset Studio. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete