Monday, January 10, 2011

Born to Be Wild!


When my friend Destiny asked if I'd do a Harley Davidson themed assemblage for her SO Jim, it took me awhile to come up with an idea - motorcycles not being my metier. But as soon as it dawned on me that I could do vintage and rust, the piece practically assembled itself.



I found the old tackle box at the Cayucos Antique Street Faire last October, in the rain - which only added more lovely rust! I already had the various old tools (gleaned from garage sales) and Destiny found the vintage advertising images and schematics which I printed on parchment page and "dirtied up" using Staz-On ink.



She printed out and assembled the old manual, which I aged by burning several edges and again rubbing on ink (which actually looks amazingly like grease spots). I glued the heavy stuff with Liquid Nails, as well as the advertising posters on the lid and sides. A Harley charm was attached to the lid with E-6000.


The finishing touch - a very dirty (again - thanks Staz-On) rag tucked into the corner of the box. Happy Birthday Jim!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, I love this; isn't it surprising what we come up with when we put our minds to the test.

    ReplyDelete