Tuesday, January 4, 2011

By the Roadside


For years we've driven passed this old railroad siding alongside Hwy 101 between Salinas and Gilroy. It sports a fascinating crop of graffiti, rust and peeling paint.



I'd always wanted to stop and get pictures of it, but as things like that go, it never happened.


On Margot's last solo trip up that way, she scouted out the nearest exits, and on our trip up the weekend before Christmas, we pulled off the highway onto a small frontage road, parked and got some wonderful shots.


Neither of us can figure out what it was for, years ago when it was still in operation, but what a myriad of interesting shapes and mechanical bits.


Along with the pix, I found three rusty railroad spikes -
a real score!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I absolutely ADORE those photos - don't know whether it is that particular shade of blue, or the shapes, or the fact that the structures are just THERE. But then, I am addicted to things from the past that were once a part of everyday working life, and then gone, and - here in the UK at least - I want future generations to know what is now missing from our lives. Sorry, sounds morbid, but I hope you know what I mean, and thankyou so much for sharing your images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great found object. Can you take it home?

    ReplyDelete