Monday, June 6, 2011

Keep Them Flying

Keep Them Flying 10x20"

The next venue for The Pity of War , Linnaea's Cafe in San Luis Obispo, only provides space for 2 dimensional art, so the two altered books that are part of the show will not be on exhibit. I wanted to have my dad still be part of it, so, since the altered book Thanks Dad can't be shown, I did this collage for him instead.

This picture (a Xerox copy here) was taken in the summer of 1941, in San Dimas Park in Southern California, when he was stationed at Edwards Air Base. My totally smitten mother took the picture and it was on her nightstand the rest of her life.

The ribbons represent the WWII victory medal and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign medal. My dad was a Master Sergeant in the Army Air Corps and served in North Africa, Italy and France. On this 67 anniversary of D-Day, it seems fitting to once again say, "Thanks, Dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment