Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bird Trio


Egg - 8x10"

I don't remember where I first came across the idea of using thick sided canvases as shadow boxes, but I have wanted to try it for awhile now. I've had these and most of their attendant parts sitting on the art table for a couple of months - letting them stew, marinate and get acquainted. And this weekend it all came together and here are the results.


Nest 8x10"

I papered the back of the canvas with a vintage chart showing egg sizes, then painted the sizes of the canvases in beige, and the wooden backs in red iron oxide. Strips of Tim Holtz'z Distress Crackle paint in vintage linen were added, and urged along with a heat gun for a great crackling effect.


Wing 12x12"

The nests, birds and eggs were affixed with wire and/or E-6000. Chipboard letters and birds and vintage cigarette cards were attached with heavy gel medium. Rustic metal letters were put on with upholstery tacks which were also used to hold swags of tea-dyed ribbon and cheese cloth and small bunches of feathers. Tumbled pieces of tile anchor a corner or two on each piece.



I stenciled the front (now the back) of the canvases with black, red and beige. These will be available at this year's Open Studios Tour coming up in mid October.

4 comments:

  1. They lend themselves so nicely to creating little niches!

    My fav is the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - They're better than shadow boxes because they have wood and raw canvas surrounding them. I'll definitely be using more.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration...the visionary mind, looking at things from a different perspective. They turned out wonderfully and I love the notion of future possibilities. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Love, love love the stenciling!

    ReplyDelete