Monday, July 9, 2012

Small Score - Major Cool


 Our Friends of the Library had a treasure sale last weekend, lots of donations of wonderful goodies dug out from Grandma's attic and Great Aunt Ethel's lumber room.
One of the perks of working for the library is getting a preview when they do a sale, so we got to go over and peruse on the day before it opened to the general public.




 I didn't get a lot, but I found some very cool items!  Don't ask me why, but ever since I began doing assemblage I've wanted some bronze baby shoes (if you're under 35 you probably have no idea about these, but in my youth it was all the thing to do this to your baby's old shoes to keep as a memento).  And lo and behold!  not one but two pairs!  I had to pry them off the bookends and ashtray stand - but here they are.




My friend Joen found this beautiful beaded bag for me.


 I see this small broach on a ribbon wrapped around 
the front cover of a journal or altered book.


And two well-worn and delightfully graphiced flour sacks.  
Good score!

2 comments:

  1. What on earth is a "lumber" room, and just what did Ethyl do in there?

    Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky - A lumber room is where you put all the stuff you don't need at the moment, or that you'll fix someday. The derivation comes from originally storing old broken furniture in it. It's an English term, over here people sometimes call it a "pile it" room. And I have no idea what Aunt Ethel may have been doing in there - but let's allow her a few secrets! LOL!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete