Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Dividers - Lost & Found


Allegory of Navigation - Dividers


I was lucky enough to pick up these old rusted dividers about a year ago when a garage sale I attended actually included the garage! Well, the contents of the garage/workshop. Literally hundreds of old rusty tools and hardware that had been sitting in the non-hermetically sealed, detached building for dozens of years since the man of the house had passed away. I'd been wanting to do something with them - but - and I know this will ring a bell with some of you, I had forgotten where I had stored them. I came across them the other day, looking for something else, and here's the result.

I used a masonite board, 11x14" as the base. An old navigation chart, well folded and with a delightful burn mark, was sanded slightly and then adhered to the board with PVA. I wrapped the chart around the edges ,much as you would when covering book boards. The picture is by 16th century Venetian artist Veronese ,entitled Allegory of Navigation -Astrolabe. I sanded it as well and then affixed using PVA. Couldn't find a brayer, so used a rolling pin to smooth things down. A coat of Golden's Fresco Cream Glaze covers the entire surface and Golden's Asphaltum Glaze was used around the picture for depth. The dividers are attached with craft wire and E-6000. Probably a good thing they were lost for awhile, it gave my brain more time to play around with the idea.

1 comment: