Monday, June 29, 2009

Saturday Afternoons at Grandma's

Saturday Afternoons at Grandma's

This is a red rosin piece I did yesterday. I embedded vintage doilies in the gesso. The colours I used are ones I remembered from needlework and petite-point at the home of my uncle's mother.

On Saturday afternoons when I was very young, four and five years old, my Uncle Gordie, who lived down the street from us in Azusa, would go to his mother's house in La Verne to do handyman jobs and yard work for her. And often I'd get to go along. My paternal grandparents lived in New York and my mom's had died before I was born, so this was my equivalent of "going to Grandma's". She always made a delicious lunch of fried chicken, grits, gravy, and drop biscuits. (I'm sure there were vegetables involved but that's not something I was taking notice of at that age!) For dessert there'd be yummy pie, she had a deft hand at pastry. While my uncle was busy in the yard and the workshop, Grandma Dark would tell me tales of her growing up in the wilds of 19th century Texas. Sometimes, for an extra treat I was allowed in the parlour and that's where I remember seeing the cushions and pillows arrayed in these evocative purples, lavenders, and greens.


Seeing these colours in combination can instantly carry me back over fifty years to that dimly lit parlour. The smell of baking biscuits scents the air as I gingerly touch a purple needlepoint pansy, my eyes drink in all the colour and I hear "Erin, y'all come now. Food's on the table."

2 comments:

  1. This piece is absolutely gorgeous!

    I'm going to try again to comment... I'm having trouble again! Your Paris posts always are so wonderful, and the photos are great.

    You won my blog giveaway, so I'll like to send your clay beads to you! Please email me with your addy!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. it worked this time!
    I'll go try at the other post...

    ReplyDelete