Saturday, October 17, 2009

Runic Bird # 2 & # 3

Runic Bird #2
Back in August I showed you Runic Bird #1 and here are #2 and #3! The above with a background of scrapbook paper, a small ceramic bird (happy thrift store find) and a glazed egg (garage sale). The colourful metal flower on top was found at Art From Scrap in Santa Barbara, the porcupine quill from Turtle Feathers, the nicely rusted chicken wire has been in my side yard for a year and a half, acquiring its lovely patina. The rune in the box and the three along the side give the piece its name.

Runic Bird #3

# 3 features three small plastic eggs and a large wooden one. Scrapbook paper provides the background, and a rustic chalkwear bluebird (Cayucos Antique Street Fair) keeps watch. Once again, runes grace the outside on the box. But the most interesting embellishments are the 8 ivory Maj Jong counters -when I spotted these at the Santa Monica Flea Market summer before last I had to have them. (The seller wouldn't break up the set, so I have lots and lots of them. I gifted Marylinn Kelly with a handful, and would be glad to send some out to any of you. Just let me know.) Two more pieces, available at Open Studios , which opens today!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    I'm sure it's going to go awesomely well! And I'm so, so, so proud of you!

    Give me a call when you can and tell me all about it.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Blue chalkware bird is TOO MUCH.
    Those are the things that i dive for at sales....
    Love the Bird-y Work. They're all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete