Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cigar Box Wednesday


This week, not something stored in a cigar box, but something you can do with a cigar box. I made this Frida shrine at a workshop with Lynne Perrella 3 years ago. Starting with a small wooden cigar box I used craft acrylics to paint all the surfaces. Using matte medium I adhered the picture of Frida and the door image. Cheesecloth embedded with printer's ink provides a scrim over Frida's face and an embellishment in the upper right corner. Skulls and jewelry pieces adorn the shrine and narrow painted twine forms a grid over the right side. The twine was also used as an embellishment - pieces tied together to form a shock. The quote on the left reads "Painting completed my life". This was one of my first assemblage boxes and I am still pleased with it. Just one more thing you can do with the ever handy cigar box.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the texture you achieved with the surfaces is yummy. Love the strings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great box. I love all the elements you have added. Giving all the steps you used for the different pieces is very helpful. Thanks for the sharing your information! I also really do love your blog.

    ReplyDelete