Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cemetery Saturday





When in Berkeley last weekend we spent sometime in the Rockridge area - delightful cafes and lovely shopping, including a huge food hall where we gathered all we needed for a wonderful picnic dinner.


As we were walking back to our car under the BART bridge we came across this heartrending memorial to the Oakland Hills Firestorm of 1991. The titles wrap around three sides.




Over 2,000 handmade titles tell individual stories of loss, broken dreams, and human resilience.



I will be sharing many of these over the next few weeks.


I finally had to stop taking pictures because my eyes were too full of tears to focus.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, I remember that tragedy. This must have been amazing to see but heart-wrenching as you have put. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - It truly was a moving experience to see the massive amount of tiles and see and read the individual stories.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine the sense of overwhelm, the depth of feeling from being in the midst of all the tiles, each sharing a story. I'm glad there is a memorial, a place for telling and for learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marylinn - Though nothing could wipe away the horror and devastation, I would imagine that this wall does provide a kind of healing for the community.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete