Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Mom


My mom would have been 86 today. She left us, quietly in her sleep over 11 years ago.
But she's never far from my mind. I see her every time I look in the mirror. I hear her when I laugh. The whiff of rose perfume makes me look over my shoulder to see if she's there. I find her expressions coming out of my mouth. I hope, when I hug my children they feel the same love and warmth and safety that I always did when she hugged me.

She was bright, she was funny, she loved to read, she sewed and knitted like a dream. She was a die-hard Dodger fan and loved the holidays. She fell in love with my dad during WWII when she was only 15 and they celebrated 54 years together. He passed first, but in the one blessing that Alzheimer's allowed her, she never knew he was gone. Happy Birthday Mom, you are missed and loved and thought of often.


5 comments:

  1. "I hope, when I hug my children they feel the same love and warmth and safety that I always did when she hugged me."

    We do.

    Happy birthday, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my 2 wonderful daughters - Ah, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy! Your grandma loved you both so much - you were far and away her favourite granddaughters!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, this is so touching. Love this photo. You really honor her. Every birthday we have is a celebration of our moms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - That's so true! If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have our birthdays!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete