Monday, September 21, 2009

Gifts from the Sea


Gifts from the Sea

I spent yesterday doing a few small collage/assemblages for the up-coming Open Studios next month. This one, called Gifts from the Sea, features a handful of things I've picked up on my beach walks over the last few months.


I started with an 11x14" canvas board to which I adhered beige patterned tissue paper with clear and blue encaustic wax. The paper was saved from a gift and seemed perfect as it had small pictures of mermaids and ships and the writing referred to the "gifts of the siren". I then used E-6000 to glue on the sea glass, tiny sand dollars and sea star, rusted bits and fish net.


It's always fun to work with the wax, I especially enjoyed the "wave" look that the blue gave the piece. A walk on the beach - not only a good time but a great place to scavenge for art supplies!

1 comment:

  1. This is really pretty and so SEASHORE! I've never used wax, except for crayons. love the BLUE!

    ReplyDelete