Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bluer Than Blue


Bluer Than Blue

On the second day of the Lynne Perrella workshop at The Artists' Nook last weekend, we filled type trays with colour, embellishments, ephemera and everything you can imagine. Christine, the proprietor of The Artists' Nook, took her favourite "third" of a standard type drawer to a woodworking friend and asked "Can you make replicas of this, inexpensively?"

So he did! They are made out of pine, but once they're painted, distressed, and filled - they look like the real thing. They are available for $20.00 in The Artists' Nook on-line store and are a kick to work with.

We all picked a colour and brought a bag or small box of "stuff" with us to fill the openings. It was a bunch of fun going through my stash before leaving for the workshop, finding everything blue.

I used four different colours of acrylic craft paint and did paint about a fourth of the openings a light cream colour as a contrast. And of course, I had to splatter and drip! Then the joy of finding the perfect thing for each opening.

Some things were very personal, loaded with memories, others just the right colour or size. I really enjoyed working on this piece. So much so, that I'm off to The Artists' Nook store right now to order more drawers - I want to have some done for sale at Open Studios!

2 comments:

  1. I recognize that egg...man, that brings up memories!

    And this is beautiful! Your art is really growing all the time...it's been such an amazing privilege to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was VERY hard not to just slip all of this amazing art quietly out of your suitcase before you left.
    Patting myself on the back.
    Oh, and still drooling over the shadow box that you made ME!
    Lucky, lucky me.

    ReplyDelete