Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Healing Woman

The Healing Woman

Here's one of the pieces I did last weekend in Lynne Perrella's Color as Catalyst workshop at The Artists' Nook. Done on red rosin paper, gessoed and liberally textured with cheese cloth, string, fishnet,splatters and stamping.

I used a palette of greens and purples, with accents of gold, copper and burnt sienna. Multiple Xerox copies, in varying sizes, of a garden statuary face were coloured with Portfolio water soluble oil pastels. Gold foil circles, marbled tissue paper, dried leaves and flowers, rubber stamping and drips and splatters finished the piece.

The classic lines of this face were a perfect match for the juicy colours of the Portfolios.


I did the piece as a gift (a surprise) for my wife Margot and was very pleased with the way it turned out. She was too!
Lynne says she thinks it's the best work I've done, and I agree.

4 comments:

  1. This is breathtaking! I think she's right, this is absolutely wonderful, and definitely one of the best, if not the best things I've seen of yours! Lucky Margot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you forgot to mention the dimensions!
    Not only is it stunning, it's BIG!
    The photos are lovely, but can't possibly convey the gasp factor of the piece "in person".
    A tribute to your deep love for Margot.
    It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The deep purples and luminous citrines just POP off the canvas, even in the photo. (I know what pictures do ti art, and it isn't 'justice')

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sense of peace I feel from the central figure speaks Healing Woman to me in an unmistakable way. Beautiful, powerful and an eloquent translation of one communication form to another, I can imagine Margot's response.

    ReplyDelete