Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cigar Box Wednesday

This week it's musical instrument bits and bobs. If only I had known back in the 1970's when I was teaching junior high band and orchestra in East LA and Watts - I could have amassed a ton of some of this stuff, as my students were always using it up and tossing it. Hind sight is a glorious thing. Of course, where would I have stored it, in the intervening 30 years?

I have two or three boxes with this sort of thing. This one holds trumpet mouthpieces, clarinet and bassoon reeds, and piano hammers. When I first became interested in altered art I remember seeing the work of an artist who always used bassoon reeds in his/her work - but the name eludes me now.

The piano hammers came from a massive tub full of them at Art From Scrap in Santa Barbara - something like $.25 a piece. I'm still not sure what to do with them - but, really, how could I resist?!

No comments:

Post a Comment