Thursday, August 13, 2009

Midtown Kiosk

Midtown Kiosk

For awhile I've had the idea of recreating a section of kiosk on a red rosin painting - flyers, posters, announcements, sorta grungy, peeling, lots of layers.


When I gessoed the red rosin paper I used cheese cloth, fish net, net trim and Golden pumice gel for the maximum amount of texture. I picked a non-characteristic palette, for me, of burnt sienna, raw umber, and avocado green, with highlights of cardinal red, copper and bamboo.

I raided our scrap paper box at work and came up with old flyers from our public bulletin board. I made sure to rip off or cover phone numbers and any personal information. I coloured these bits with Portfolio water soluble oil pastels in a myriad of colours, and then affixed to the painting with matte medium. A round of drips and splatters and voila! Midtown Kiosk.

One more ready for Open Studios.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! It is a departure from your usual palette, but it really really works, and is such a wonderfully cool idea that's been executed perfectly.

    You're so amazing, and only get more so with every piece of yours I see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAhhhhh!!!
    Too wonderful. This is just delicious.
    Oh and by the way, are you going to continue to Blog every day?
    I'm getting a serious complex (but loving it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever idea and I love the title. The layers and textures here are amazing.

    ReplyDelete