Thursday, September 29, 2011

Copper-Clad Wonders


Debra Jurey's In a Tuscan Olive Garden - earrings


A few weeks ago my friend Debra and I were getting our pieces ready for Arts Obispo's 6x6 exhibit. We will be sharing my studio space for the upcoming Open Studios this October. She's a maker of exquisite jewelry and was turning in a pair of earrings and wondering how best to display them. I came up with this idea - the inside back of a 6x6" canvas. The earrings featured lovely copper seed beads, so I covered the back edges with distressed copper.



The Watchmaker's Tale 6x6"

Well, she loved it. Everyone who saw it loved it. And it was one of those "AHA!" moments. If I could do it for her earrings - I could do it for tiny assemblages as well.



Concerto for Viola and Bassoon 6x6"

Here are the first two results - The Watchmaker's Tale and Concerto for Viola and Bassoon. Copper sheeting, distressed and affixed with upholstery nails lines the edges. The opening is painted with dark acrylic. Embellishments, including a vintage organ stop, bassoon reed and string peg, and watch parts and glass vials are attached with heavy gel medium and wire. A double wax seal tops each small vignette. Two more for Open Studios in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment