Friday, September 30, 2011

From the Bookshelf


I've been reading and watching everything I can find about Istanbul. Thinking of doing an altered book or vicarious travel journal set there. I came across this lovely volume. Intriguing text (John Cleave) and stunningly gorgeous watercolour sketches (John Freely), take us to all sections of this ancient and amazing city.

Spanning two continents and at various times ruled by the Byzantine and Ottoman empires, there is glorious architecture and evidence of a vast historical past down every winding alley and in every marketplace. When I finished this wonderful tome I was ready to pack my bag and buy a plane ticket. Very enjoyable!

2 comments:

  1. Istanbul must be exquisitely beautiful from all of the pictures I've seen. I'd love to visit there too! I also noticed on your profile that you grew up in Azusa, I used to live in Glendora. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari - We were neighbours! For a wonderful vicarious tour of Istanbul visit Dispatch from LA - Mary Ann Moss visited there last year and blogged about her fascinating experiences. Check out her blog at http://dispatchfromla.typepad.com ,scroll down the right hand side you'll find Istanbul.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete