Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Name is Erin and I'm an Organizer


I am that strange being - an artist that thrives on organization. Now that isn't to say I can't make a mess - just come and look at my art table when I'm in the middle of a big project. But I love cleaning up, re-storing everything and creating order out of chaos.




I have not had a complete (or correct) listing of my supplies since I moved my studio out of the great room a year ago last May - preparing for Open Studios and then immediately after creating the 20 pieces for The Pity of War filled my time and then some.



But over the last couple of months I've been making lists (and yes! checking them twice - sometimes thrice) and sketching out little maps of where all the art supplies, tools and ephemera are stored.



And the nerdy/geeky thing is - I'm having a blast doing it. I love seeing the lists grow and knowing I can think "Hmm... now where are the maj jong counters?" and looking on the list and finding them between maj jong cards and maj jong tiles and seeing that they are in Locker Basket #1 on the white shelves north of the art table.



I know, you're shaking your head and rolling your eyes - but hey, it keeps me off the streets and makes me such a happy girl!

6 comments:

  1. Your a lady after my heart! I too am an organized artist. LOVE the library card lists on the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. I sorted through pens the other night, tossing the extinct ones. It never, never, occurred to me to create an inventory. I do enjoy the sifting, the straightening, but it takes mad skills to do it this efficiently. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margot - You have to live with me and bear the brunt of my organizing mania!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carlene - One of the perks of being a librarian was inheriting boxes of old pockets and cards when our system stopped using them.
    A toast to those of us who love to organize!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marylinn - Mad is the operative work I think! But I do love it, LOL.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete