Friday, April 8, 2011

Tonight's the Night

The Pity of War, my first solo gallery show, opens tonight at Allied Arts Cambria Center for the Arts, 1350 Main St. in Cambria. The opening reception is from 5:30-7:00. I will be presenting eighteen mixed media collages and two altered books.

WWI, WWII, touchstones, turning points, spans of years by which lives were, and are, measured and divided. I think the spark for this show may have been ignited 4 years ago when I stood in the poets corner of Westminster Abbey by the graves of several of the WWI poets. I was struck by the words of Wilfred Owen. "My subject is war and the pity of war. The poetry is in the pity." - probably his most famous quote, is engraved in the stone. Being in England-where every tiny village has a war memorial covered with names, and evidence of the Blitz still scars London's streets - brought the tragedy of both these conflicts closer to me than ever before. Not only the sacrifice of the fighting forces, but the bravery and resiliency of the civilians at home.

I honestly feel that we, today, enjoy the freedoms we have, because of the sacrifices of the generations of both World Wars. It’s also been a way to offer a belated, heartfelt appreciation to my father who, as a Master Sergeant in the Army Air Corps, fought in North Africa, Italy and France. Working on the pieces for this show has been very emotional for me and stirs deep feelings - as a result I also feel it's some of the best work I have done.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Erin, I'm so sorry not to have commented lately. I've been ill and off-line--it seems like forever.

    I'm just dropping you a note to congratulate you on "The Pity of War' which is important and so moving. I hope the opening is a great thrill and that the show is a huge success.

    Best, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erin, your interpretation of 'the pity of war' is so moving, and so remarkable. I suppose that for me, having lived within WWII, and with close relations within WWI (as I have detailed to you), I forget how it impinges on other lives. It has been a part of all my 70+ years, has informed and nurtured my whole being - and I am so very grateful to have made your acquaintance through 'blogging'. How will you mve forward, having held this subject within your heart for so long? I don't think I told you that I have my uncle's charts from when he participated in the D-Day landings in France? There's an awful lot still stashed in the roof-space of our farmhouse! Ann from England.

    ReplyDelete